I can barely believe it, I actually set up my website. Now it isn’t just a blank page that says “there’s nothing here”, now it’s a fancy page that says “there’s nothing here”.
There. Hello, world.
The delay, of course, was because I am really not a web dev person. I originally wanted to use some kind of “easy formatter” like Jekyll and Hugo. There were ok, but I wanted pleased with some of the side effects, notably my worry about bringing in extra bloat. Eventually I decided I should just write things from scratch myself.
I knew I wanted to write blog posts in Markdown. It’s just easier. I also wanted static pages, since I didn’t want to write (or setup) a backend system to generate blog pages. Not that it’s a bad idea, I just didn’t want to. So I wrote a small Python script that took Markdown sources and some basic HTML template files and created individual blog posts and a simple index. I found the Python Markdown library to be quite nice, as it had a lot of extensions I was used to using, and has some nice conversions for things like fancy quotes.
As for the actual website, thankfully it wasn’t too bad to do. I looked at raylu’s CSS, and after a bit of Googling I was able to come up with something I liked in a reasonable amount of time.
And I quite like it. I’m in control of all the code on my website, and it’s fairly lightweight. (The biggest source of bloat are the Google Fonts I’m pulling in, but they’re just too pretty to pass up).
I plan to post here more in the future.